I just notice today that RocketTheme has released Quasar, a free GPL template that sporting their new Gantry framework. As usual I start to play around a little with this new stuff and make a little customization with it then testing it using my template showcase gallery contents. And the above image is the result.
This Gantry framework - like Rumi from Vandenito - is a template framework with the sole intention of being the best platform to build a template with, such as being easy to configure, simple to extend, and powerful enough to handle anything.
From what I can see between Rumi and Gantry framework,
- Gantry has more layout option to play with from their number of module positions.
- Rumi has Search Engine features like inserting Google verification and Analytics code, Yahoo site verification, etc which Gantry (still) don't have it.
- Rumi has 'template under the template' feature with their called 'skin' under the framework. Gantry - we can custom the css though but I'm not sure they have 'skin' feature or not. Maybe they only call it with 'style'.
- Rumi configuration is at the frontpage, Gantry can be configure as usual from the backend.
- Both are not difficult to configure - only need a few time to get familiar with it.
- what else?
Read more on Gantry features detail here.
Well what we should say is big thanks to both for these great free frameworks and templates.